11.17.2011

Yummy chicken calzones

Trying to come up with recipies to blog about has created a fun challenge for me. I so easily get stuck in a food rut and make the same meals, over and over. No one is complaining but I would like to try and get some new ones in the mix.



I made chicken calzones once at a meal making place and we loved them. It was quite a while ago and I couldn't remember all the ingredients so I looked up a bunch of recipies and put together my own. Again simplicity has to rule on a weeknight and this was easy. I actually made them in the morning while the kids were at school, then popped them in the oven at dinner time.


You can totally add or leave out some of the ingredients. When I do it again, I will add some spinach in a couple for the adults, and Callie picked out the sundried tomatoes but I would not leave them out since they are my favorite.


Notice there is no picture of them baked. By the time I took them out of the oven, I had lots of little people (claiming to be STARVING) and we gobbled them up before I remembered to take a pic.


So here you go:

Chicken Calzones



















1 rotisserie chicken, meat taken off and shredded (about 2 + cups)

1 8oz. container low fat Philly chive and onion cream cheese.

1/4 cup light mayo

4 TBS chopped sun dried tomatoes ( I bought them already chopped in oil and drained oil)

3/4 cup shredded mozerella

1/2 cup cooked crumbled bacon

2 containters Pillsbury pizza crust

olive oil and garlic salt


Heat cream cheese in microwave for about 30 seconds to soften. Mix chicken, cream cheese, mayo, sundried tomatoes, mozerella and bacon together in a large bowl.

Unroll pizza crusts and spread out. I cut each one into 4 pieces. Place about 1/4 cup mixture on each rectangle and fold over sealing all 4 sides.

Bake at 350 until dough starts to turn golden, about 20 min. About 5 minutes before I took them out of the oven, I brushed them with olive oil and sprinkled with garlic salt. Completely optional.


Serve immediately. Makes 8 calzones.





*if you don't like to take chicken off a rotisserie chicken, you can substitute 2 cups cooked chopped chicken.

* just a simple salad would complete the meal. We ate with blackberries because they were on sale and my kiddos eat them like candy- can't argue with that.


I can't wait to make this again. Wish we had leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment