5.09.2010

Happy Mother's Day

I am extremely fortunate to be surrounded by incredible women, mothers. We share this title among all aspects of our lives- work, church, school. These women are strong, faithful, kind and giving, dedicated and devoted, tireless, smart, creative...the list could go on and on. They are friends and family. I admire them, learn from them, rely on them, and enjoy my time with them.
Mother's are unique. I love my mom and am so lucky to have such a close relationship with her. She is one of these women. Thank you Mom for everything. I wish I had the words to really explain how grateful I am but words are not my thing.

Now that I am a mother, I am often in thought about how to build such a strong relationship with my daughter, now daughters. How to raise a girl to also be one of these confident and kind women. Teach by example is the best thing I can think of which means I need to work harder to be a better person. Self reflection and self improvement are never ending processes. I want to have daughters that look up to their mother and value how I have raised them.

I also can't not think on this day about a mother on the other side of the world. The mother that gave birth to my daughter. There are just so many questions. Did she hold her baby to her chest after birth and think, I love you? Did she ache when she left her only 3 week old daughter right outside the orphanage? Did she say goodbye and walk away or hide to see if someone would find her? Did she leave her out of choice or necessity? Does her heart ache not knowing what happened to this little girl? We will never know the answers to any of these questions. But I am thankful for her bravery which I know she must have had. I am thankful for the opportunity to be the mother to this little girl. I can only hope that somewhere in her heart she knows this child is safe, and loved.

Happy Mother's Day.
My mom, myself and Anna in China.

1 comment:

  1. Happy Mother's Day! I too thought the same things after we got home...so many questions and feelings. I love the picture with your mom...beautiful!

    ReplyDelete