1.20.2016

Post -op And family

My husband had major surgery today, on his spinal cord....lots of room for error.  By the grace of God no error happened and he is home safe and sound.  But it's been a long day, with so much to reflect on and be thankful.
I will admit, the past week I have questioned this surgery.  Wondered if we were jumping to this too quickly.  That is the silliest thing ever considering he is the most brilliant Doctor out there and surrounded by other brilliant doctors, including the neurosurgeon who made this choice.  But I was a skeptic, because I certainly know more ( I watched every episode of ER, named my kid after my fav character), so certainly that makes me educated in medicine, right?  But we went in today, he headed to surgery, and it was all real.  I sat unphased all day, neurosurgeon came out and talked to me, and I was relived and thought "how soon can I get out of here?"
   Because of all days, today we had a snow day and I was worried about the kids.  This is where family and friends come in.  Brian's dad came in town yesterday, my mom arrived at 5:00am this morning, my friend took over at lunchtime and texted me pics of the kids and what they were all doing.  A friend brought dinner last night and breakfast this morning, my best friend brought dinner tonight while her husband, Brian's BFF was at the hospital the entire time. Another friend is brnging dinner tomorrow...... We are blessed.  And I know I talk about swimming all the time but we have been on this team for 7 years, our kids swim everyday, and our coaches are our friends and family too.  So they were texting today and checking in and offering help.  These are swim coaches!!! But they are all our family too, and so are our friends, and we are so grateful.  So yes I wanted to get home, but not because I was worried about the kids, but just wanted to be with them.
   The rest of the night I cried....tons.  Relief mostly, the outpouring of anxiety from the past week.  Tears of "I'm not sure why I'm crying, it's done, he's fine....." Tears of joy and gratefulness for my family, dear friends, coaches, that all genuinely care.  And I'm humbled.  The line between friends and family is often clear... But not today.  And that's OK, even wonderful.  Because it extends our relationships far and wide and we are thankful for everyone.  So tonight I will sleep peacefully, first knowing Brian is OK and on the road to recovery, and feeling blessed by the outpouring of kindness our family and friends bring our way.
So to end on a funny note, my father in law brought with him the notion of the game show network.   We all watched American Ninja Warrior last night for the first time.  Tonight after Brian was home and settled,  we watched Deal or no Deal.  I love those blasts from the past, so entertaining.  Kids thought they were awesome!  Looks like our new favorite channel,   Thanks Papaw.  So I have no pictures of my kids having fun in the snow today (they played out there a ton) but I took  one of them together, wanting to be with their dad, watching their new show.

No comments:

Post a Comment